Alleged ‘GTA 6’ leaker pleads not guilty to hacking charges

Alleged juvenile hacker arrested in connection with recent Grand Theft Auto 6 escape pleaded not guilty in court.

  • READ MORE: GTA 6 release date, possible setting, protagonists and breaking news

A 17-year-old from Oxfordshire appeared at a specialist youth court in London yesterday (September 27) where the teenager denied using his phone as a tool to gain access to GTA rockstar developer private files and servers, messages my box.

Earlier this month (September 19) GTA 6 suffered what is being called one of the biggest leaks in video game history, with approximately one hour of footage from a test build of the game uploaded online. The videos confirmed the details, including the characters’ names, location, and time frame.

Following initial reports last week, the 17-year-old was arrested in connection with the leak and charged with two counts of breaching bail conditions and two counts of computer misuse.

Grand Theft Auto 5. Credit: Rockstar.The indictment alleges the teenager hacked companies including Microsoft and Uber and then “held them for ransom.”

He is allegedly associated with the hacking group Lapsus$. According to the former Reuters journalist Matthew Keysthe investigation that led to his arrest was “conducted in concert with an investigation conducted by the FBI.”

Last week (September 19), Rockstar officially acknowledged the leak. “We recently suffered a network breach in which an unauthorized third party illegally accessed and downloaded confidential information from our systems, including early development records for the next grand theft auto“, the company said in a statement.

“At this time, we do not anticipate any disruption to our live game services or any long-term impact on the development of our ongoing projects. We are extremely disappointed to share any details about our next game with you all in this way. We remain committed to providing you, our players, with an experience that truly exceeds your expectations.”

The judge has now transferred the case to a higher court, where it will be heard at a later date.

Meanwhile, publisher Take-Two has spoken about its ambitions GTA 6 to set the benchmark for the entire industry after its release. “With the development of another item in GTA The series is in full swing, the Rockstar Games team is committed to resetting the creative benchmarks for the series, our industry and all of entertainment, just as the publisher has done with each of its flagship releases,” said CEO Strauss Zelnick.

 

Leave a Comment